Sunday, March 31, 2013

I'm still here

Sadly, I haven't made any posts for a few weeks but, that doesn't mean there hasn't been anything to write about. 

Time has been an issue. 

Here, where I live, we have had three snow storms in three weeks totaling almost 30 inches of snow.  I realize in some areas of the U.S. this is a common amount and is expected each year.  But here, last winter we barely got below freezing and our winter weather was more in line with Paris, it was just wet.  Maybe 90% of our precipitation was rain, 10% just a light flurry or dusting of snow.  It was been 20 years since we've had this amount of snow in such a short time and we really were not prepared for it.  Now, here it April 1st, and the forecast for today is sunny and the mid 60s (that would be Fahrenheit).  Tomorrow, however, the forecast calls for more snow.  Someone really needs to explain to Mother Nature the concept of Spring.

A few weeks ago we had our monthly meetup of travelers, as it happened a new face appeared at out table.  He, too, is going to France this summer and will be spending around a month in the Loire valley.  As we spoke with him we learned he has been to France several times over the years and knows the country quite well.  When he learned we would be in Paris for three weeks the same time he would be in France he offered to show us around Chartres which would make for a good day trip out of Paris.  He speaks French fluently (as well he should since he teaches French at a University) and is a delight to talk to.  I think we will accept his gracious offer and explore Chartres for a day.

As I write this, we have 90 days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 42 seconds until we leave.  The closer it gets, the more anxious I am becoming.  I'm anxious, obviously, to leave, I want to spend as much time as possible in Paris celebrating our 30th anniversary and I want to leave NOW!  I can't, of course but that doesn't keep me from wanting to.  I'm also anxious in wanting to make sure I have done everything I need to, to prepare for the trip.  I have the plane tickets, passports, an apartment rental and money put back to support us while we are there.  I have made copies of everything I can think of, just in case something gets lost.  I also have a list of suggestions for different restos to try, shops to browse and areas to explore.  I have a new camera to record our experience and celebration. 

I think I'm ready.

I know I'll forget something.

2 comments:

  1. Paris, how exciting! I've been on Tripadvisor lately because I'm looking at planning another trip to Paris and that's how I found your blog. I've been there twice (which I blogged about btw) back in June 2011 and June 2012.

    I love to travel and look forward to reading about your trip to Paris. I hope you and Betty have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found your way to my little corner of the blog-o-sphere. While the posts are rather sparse at the moment I'm sure they will increase in a about two and half months.

      I popped over to your blog and read a few posts, I will be following you. I like your relaxed writing style and sense of humor.

      Take care,
      Rob

      Delete