Sunday, October 21, 2012

Intermission and Introduction

After posting my last entry I realized the picture of our passports was the first picture I had posted.  I also realized that I really hadn't introduced myself, or my wife.  As a matter of fact, every reference to my wife has been "my wife" or "she" or some equally nondescript variation.  This post will change that.  As the title says, this is an intermission and introduction.  An intermission from writing about our Paris plans and an introduction of ourselves.

It all began on a dark and stormy night many years ago.  Uh, no, that isn't right.  A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away .... nope that isn't it either.

Our relationship began in January 1983, that was when I met Betty.  We met in a game room, they were very popular before the advent of home game systems.  Great place to socialize and spend money and as it turned out a great place to meet a future wife.

After a brief courtship, I proposed, sort of.  You see, I met Betty during one of my trips to East Texas, I was actually living in Central Texas, north of San Antonio at the time.  Six months after I met her, I called from where I was living and invited her to come out and meet my parents.  Oh, and plan on a wedding while you're here.  Granted, not the most romantic proposal ever but the result was the same as the most planned out, romantic proposal in the history of the world.  Betty flew out, we were married.  Simple.

While I know I have pictures of our wedding, somewhere, I couldn't find any that were easily accessible so here is a picture of us a few months after we were married.

Weren't we the cutest couple ever?  Actually, looking at that picture I am reminded of a quote by Fred Astaire when he was explained the man's job when dancing, "... make her look good."  With my leftover 70s hairstyle and unruly beard, I think I accomplished making her look good.  This was the first portrait we had taken and all things considered, it turned out rather well.  But anyway, that was us, Rob and Betty, in 1983.

Unlike many couples we know, we did not immediately start having kids.  We took a few years to get to know each other and see a little of our country.  Betty moved from East Texas to Central Texas, then we moved to Waco for a short period then back to Central Texas. Yes, I know Waco is considered Central Texas but we moved to a different part of Central Texas.  Then to California, back to Central Texas and finally to the middle of the U.S. where we put down our roots and started a family.

At that point our life settled into what most couples lives settle into, raising children, trips to the hospital because of the kids accidents, gaining a mortgage, car payments, PTA, Scouting, late night school work and starting careers.

Through all of that, two things  were constant, we had each other and we loved to do this:

Through all the years we loved to ride, and still do.  Although there was a period when we didn't have  a motorcycle, time raising the boys and tending to life in general, we never lost the love of being on two wheels.  Once we were able, we bought a motorcycle and rediscovered the thrill of riding.  Riding gave us time to be together, without the kids.  It allowed us to be a couple again and enjoy discovering what was around the next bend in the road.  I believe that joy of discovery is what triggered the travel bug with us.  Although we never made it out of the states, we always enjoyed little excursions that would bring about a new place, experience or culture.

Now, with the boys grown, we begin the next chapter of our lives.



Before I end this post, here are a couple more pictures of us, one from a company picnic and the other a portrait taken on Mother's Day.


The 70s hairstyle is gone but part of the beard remains and I am still doing my part in "making her look good."

1 comment:

  1. Hi,this is the wife now known as Betty. I have not posted as of yet because I have been admiring Rob's writing and his flattering.
    Now I get to tell how good I did when I married Rob.
    He did not tell you I grew up in a little hick town. I do not remember much of the world travel I had as a child. I just remember living where my Mom grew up and then where my Dad grew up. Then back and forth between the two until we settled in Texas.
    I knew there was more to the world than where I was. He will tell you I married him to get out of the little hick town and because he had a nice truck. I liked his truck. What can I say I'm a truck girl.
    I, too, am proud that we have made it to 29 and counting years of marriage. We have had our hard times and we have had our good times. We have been lucky enough to work through the bad and appreciate the good.
    He has given me all that I need and some of what I want. I like to think I have done the same for him. When he told me we were going to Europe for our 30th Ann. I was excited. I knew it was one of the places that he always wanted to go and I know he always wanted to go to the Louvre. Art is not really one of my things but I know I will see some art by people i have heard of. I know he will have a blast. I also know i will get to see and do some shopping. LOL
    I will let you know how much shopping when we get back.

    ReplyDelete