Sunday, May 19, 2013

To carry on or not to carry on ...

Recently I managed to ensnare another follower to this, my blog thing.  Jodie, over at Can Do Mom unexpectedly arrived and introduced herself; naturally being the curious type I went to her blog to investigate and read her musings, celebrations, heartaches and laughter.  I wholeheartedly recommend you take the time to read her postings.

As you can see in the comments section of my last post, Jodie posed a much debated question, am I traveling carry on?  For those unfamiliar with this phrase, it simply means packing everything you are taking in one carry on bag.  In today's climate of charging for every bit of <ahem> comfort during your flight, financially it makes sense to not check any luggage.  You also have the advantages of not worrying about luggage becoming lost or rifled through and you can exit the airport quicker since you are bypassing the baggage claim carousel.

Several of our friends stated quite simply they could not travel without a checked bag, even if they were just traveling within the states for a short time, they feel the need to carry so much with them it would never fit in a single carry on suitcase.  However, I know it can be done.  I have traveled for work a few times and each time I manage to carry everything I need in one bag, with room left.  As we are staying in Paris for three weeks, I knew there would be no reasonable way to carry three weeks of clothing.  My wife understood this as well and since the apartment we rented comes with a washer/dryer there is no need to carry more than a few changes of clothes.  The key will be to coordinate what we take, shirts and slacks that can be paired with each other.  A sport jacket can double as a lightweight jacket against the chill of a midnight stroll along the Seine as well as being just "dressy" enough for any restaurant that may require a jacket to dine.  For my wife, she is planning on pairing her outfits as well.  Slacks and skirts that can be worn with different shirts and blouses.  Each with our own bag plus my wife's purse and possibly a messenger bag for me would be ample luggage for our trip.

With all that said, we are going to check a bag.

A realization set in about three months ago when we began talking about what we would purchase to bring back as mementos.  Of course we have to visit the Harley Davidson dealer and buy ourselves shirts (we're big motorcycle riders and fans), while we're there we could pick up a shirt for our boys.  Then maybe one for C, a friend of mine who also rides.  Naturally, if we buy a shirt for C we have to get something for his wife who is my wife's best friend.  Oh, we can't forget our youngest son is getting married next Sunday so we probably should plan on buying something for his wife.  The next thing you know, we're looking at each other and saying the same thing, "how are we going to bring all this back?"  So, we are going to check a suitcase.

The plan at this point is to pack one carry on with a couple of days of clothes for myself and my wife, just in case our checked bag gets lost.  The remainder will be packed in another bag that will be nested inside a third suitcase, instead of having two carry on bags, we will be taking one set of three bags. 

It may be overkill, but this way we'll have plenty of room to bring home mementos and gifts, and should we decide to bring home a bottle or two of really great French wine, we can. 

We will just pray our luggage doesn't get lost when we change flights back in the states.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rob,

    Thanks for the kind review of my blog.

    Ah, the great luggage debate. To carry on or check your bags? As you alluded to in your post, it's not so much the going over that's a problem, it's the return flight that poses the biggest challenge. Who doesn't want to bring home souvenirs? Somehow we've managed to make it all fit but I confess to wearing a few extra layers of clothing to make it work!

    I am in the process of packing at this very moment and am trying to decide what goes in the suitcase and what stays. We leave a week from today. After I finish my bag then I'm on to packing my 13yo son's bag. Our goal is to pack light enough to have room to bring our mementos home without stuffing the bags too full.

    One helpful tip: I am bringing an older pair of tennis shoes that I will leave in England when we return home. That will free up extra room. We stay with family south of London when we are in England and they have requested we bring a number of food items. This, too, will free up space for our return trip.

    Happy packing!

    ReplyDelete