Sunday, October 7, 2012

Passports

Applying for a passport is a fairly straightforward process, to a degree. You can go to this website
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html for all the information concerning applying for one.  You can pick up the application at almost any post office in the United States.

Once you have your application, read it through before you start filling it out.  There are specific directions you have to follow if you want your application to go through easily.  The main direction is do not sign the application until you are asked to when you turn it in, and you must turn it in in person.  You can turn it in at most post offices but, post offices only accept passport applications between certain hours.  As we found out, the persons accepting the application is specifically trained to do so and not all post office employees are trained.  So, check with your local branch and see when they accept them.

Information required is nothing that should make anyone uncomfortable providing.  Your full name, address, and place of birth.  You also have to list your parents full names and dates and locations of birth.  Provide a photo copy of your driver's license and a certified copy of your birth certificate, if you don't have a certified copy you can get one from the records office of the city you were born in.

There was a surprise on the application, you must list if you have been married before.  If so, you have to provide the date of your divorce.  My wife was never married before so for her it was no problem  As for me, I was married for a short time then achieved a divorce.  I thought I knew where my divorce proclamation was, I didn't.

As I live close to the city that granted my divorce I took a trip to city hall to get a copy of the divorce.   As it turns out the city converted all of their public records to digital information.  Unfortunately, they only converted approximately the last 20 years, as my divorce was over 30 years I had to go though the process the old fashioned way.  I went to the information desk and explained what I needed; I was told to fill out a simple form and they would notify me when they received the documents.

About two weeks later we received a phone stating they had the divorce decree and we could come down anytime to pick it up.  Since I was only interested in the date I asked if they could give that over the phone, uh, no.  So, another trip to the city to get the information I needed.

I really didn't need a copy of the divorce decree, I just needed the date which I was able to get without paying for a copy once I explained why I needed it.

With the date in hand I was able to finish filling out the application.

Finally, once you turn in your application, either bring a money order or just buy one at the post office.  Apparently, payment is not accepted in cash for passport applications.  The bottom line for passports, read everything, provide all the information asked for and be patient.

With the passports successfully applied for, we turned out attention to how to get there and where to stay.


No comments:

Post a Comment