Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Let's Start with a Flashback

It really isn't much of flashback but it should bring everyone up to real time.  Let me explain.  I first thought about surprising my wife with a trip to Europe several months ago, so the upcoming flashback will bring everyone to the present without the feeling of coming in in the middle.  With that in mind, the next few posts are events that occurred in the near past, (no more than four months ago).

When I first thought of Europe my idea was to take all my vacation time at once, I intended to spend four weeks traveling Europe.  My wife could enjoy the sights and I could enjoy the sight of my wife enjoying the sights.  My first attempt at an itinerary fell short, all I could think of was England, Scotland and France.  For those who happen to be geographically minded, you'll notice the three countries listed are all in Western Europe.  With France being the only country on the European Continent.  So, I did what all good husbands do, figured that was good enough.

Once I made up my mind that I was really going to do this, I had to discover if I could really afford it.  So, the mighty search engine that is Google became my new best friend while I checked air fare and hotel costs.  Transportation and food had to be considered as well.  After all, I do not intend to visit the continent famous for its gastronomical treasures and eat at McDonald's.  I want to sample the local fare and I know my wife will as well.  So, add extra to the food budget.

After several days spent trudging through the never ending results of numerous search queries, I came to the conclusion I could actually do this.  I can afford this.  Of course, it meant actually staying within a budget for the next few months and I had to come up with a plausible reason for my wife that would explain why I am suddenly being somewhat anal about the budget but, I could do this.  For those that are considering there own traveling adventure, as we progress I will pass on the costs.

Back to the planning.  I was concerned about getting our passports.  Most Americans never travel outside the border so there isn't a need to have a passport but, we had decided a few years ago that even if we never used them we should get passports.  My mother-in-law lives a few miles from the Canadian border and should we ever decide to visit Canada while visiting my mother-in-law, passports would make the crossing much easier.  So, since we had already decided to get passports I would just tell my wife its time to get them, there would be no suspicion.  First hurdle crossed.

Next time I'll let you know how I let the cat out of the bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment